Thursday 27 March 2014

Accent and pronunciation are such vital issues when both teaching and learning a language. Take for instance the outcome of a role play scenario earlier this year.

A group of ladies were given different cards with different events and functions. The idea is for the members of the group to circulate and invite other people to say whether they would, or would not want to go the particular event.

Because there was an uneven number of ladies I took it in turns to speak with each one, and they duly invited me to their restaurant, club, show or exhibition. One lady had a card for a restaurant entitled 'Ali's Restaurant', and the key was that I could eat or have all I wanted. Now here is where the issue of accent, and pronuncation becomes vital.

She looked me square in the eye, but instead if inviting me to come to Ali's restaurant, she invited me to an 'Arse' restaurant. Needless to say this resulted in laughter and a few red cheeks, if you'll pardon the pun, and a lesson in accent and  pronunciation that will not be forgotten.  Sadly I forgot to ask the address of the restaurant!

No comments:

Post a Comment