Sunday 30 March 2014

A tomato is a tomto is a tomato, except when it is a tomato bought and eaten in England, sad to say.The word itself dates from around 1600 AD and derives from the Spanish tomate and from the Aztecan tomatl. Interestingly the tomato has been linked with libido enhancing qualities, borne out by the original meaning of "the swelling fruit," or to "to swell."

But I digress, a tomato can be a revelation, no really! When I first visited Poland I ate tomato, but what a tomato. It looked good, easy to achieve in a GM world, it was packaged correctly to suit modern purchasing sensibilties, however the flavour was fantastic, simply a full, fresh tomato unlike the wishy washy offerings in England.

And what goes better with tomato in a sandwich than ham, well many things according to personal taste, but for me it's ham. This word has its derivation in meaning the “inner or hind part of the knee, ham”.
 
Again in Poland this was a delightful rebirth of my jaded taste buds.Ham here has a really great flavour, and this extends to sausages and to the most wonderful pate (pasztet). which unlike a brown buttery substance in the UK, but something you can cut off in chunks and consume with relish:) Sometimes some of it even survives long enough to be put on a slice of bread or a roll!


And what rolls they are, really the upper crust of rolls and bread as well, which I consumed then and now with gusto and without really needing anything else! All of this has left me hungry, so now it's time for breakfast.

The source of the word breakfast is from Latin admorsus, which is the past participle of admordere "to bite into," and "to bite.. Which is exactly what I am going to do with my brekkie now. Smacznego:)


No comments:

Post a Comment